Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Torres interview on EL LARGUERO

Interview aired last night on El Larguero of Cadena Ser.

Alcala- Here tonight, we appreciate the company of a lad who's had to make a difficult decision at the beginning of the summer…who traded away the comfort of his home in Madrid and of his everyday life for a new adventure far away in Liverpool and who, Joserra, you can see the happiness on his face and the calmness at the same time that demonstrate that things so far have been going quite good and I’m very happy for him. Tonight from Las Rozas, home of the national team, Fernando Torres

Joserra- Fernando, good evening. How are you?

- Good. Things have gotten off to a good start for me, just like I wanted it and I’m having a good time.

I’m worried because Alcala told me today that you had to leave the training session 15 minutes before the end. What happened?

- Yes, I took a slight knock from David Albelda and at the time I thought it was nothing but then later in the afternoon I felt some pain again… but the doctor calmed me down, said it was nothing serious just a knock and we’ll see how it’ll progress for the next few days. We’ll try to take advantage of tomorrow’s day off and the trip to let it heal so I can be in the best conditions for the match.

And Alcala, you say he looks very happy?

Alcala- Yes, I think if there is one word to define his demeanor right now that word is happiness. And if you had spent the entire day with him like I have you would realize it’s a different kind of smile on his face, as if he’d taken a lot of weight off his shoulders…it’s a more radiant, more open, more genuine smile and if there is one word to define him…because he’s had a great start to his career in Liverpool…that word is 'happy'. And as I begin to get to know him better I don’t think I’m wrong, Fer?


- Well, these past few years at Atleti have been somewhat difficult at times, there’s been a lot of pressure on me and perhaps while I was there I didn’t feel it or didn’t realize it was there because I was focused on pulling forward for the team and I think the change of scenery has done me a lot of good. Liverpool is a great club and the pressure is shared amongst all the players, the way the team works allows you to grow more as a player and if on top of that the results are going our way then everything is a lot easier. I’m really enjoying the moment, I’m very happy and now that I can look back at the last few years I notice that is very difficult to get improve and to have a good time when you’re carrying all the weight of the team on your shoulders.

All the pressure you were carrying before and that you mentioned you didn’t realize you had or didn’t feel it at the time, now that you’re outside do you see how it affected you?


- Yes, you notice that even when you’re no longer there people are still talking about you and that means that people miss you and in some way they miss a ‘name’, now there are new players coming in and they will have to accept that responsibility and it’s not easy. Perhaps, when I arrived at Atleti I slowly took on that responsibility on my own not realizing it and now that I’m at a different club I see what it is to have the ease of mind of just going on about my job and not having to worry about every little aspect of the club.

Not having all the eyes set on you alone?

- Yes, but I’m not talking about just on the pitch but all the outside stuff. Every little thing that went on at the club somewhat gets brought to your attention. Even when you try to stay from other matters it ends up affecting you somehow whether you like it or not.

That’s why I’m convinced you needed the change and Atletico de Madrid as well because I think that in the present-day Atleti you had no-one to look up to because you couldn’t , what’s there to look up to? And despite that you were insultingly young, too young to become a role-model, no? That’s why I believe it’s been phenomenal for you to change places…

- I think so. We made a decision knowing it would be best for both parties, for me and the club as well. I think time will prove us right, sooner or later but it will. The club needed to build a new team that doesn’t rely on one player. And for me, it was great to start over at a new club where I don’t have that same pressure and it’s been that way for me. I come at a club like Liverpool and I look at the captains, players with a lot more experience than I have and you realize how much they bring to a team in terms of experience, something I lacked when I had to play that role at Atletico. Becoming a captain so young brings a lot of responsibility along with it and perhaps I wasn’t ready to take on that responsibility at a big club like Atletico de Madrid not really knowing what it means to be a captain. Now that I’m at Liverpool I look at how the captains behave and how they do many things I didn’t do because there was nobody there to teach me these things.

For example?

- It’s mostly the respect they command… not just because the way they go about things or because of all the titles they've won, which are many, but in the way they bring along the new players and the young players that train with us and how they are the first ones in line and ready to do things and the way the gain the respect of their peers because of their hard work. I think it’s a different philosophy to ours in Spain but I was very impressed by it. They are the first ones to take you in when you arrive not just a different club but a different country as well with different customs and any time you need anything, apart from the Spaniards of course, it’s these two players, Carragher and Gerrard, they are the ones that carry the weight of the team and the idols of the supporters and they are the ones that try to make things easier for you.

Was it tough for you to take that first step to leave?

- It’s a difficult decision. not only football-wise but on a personal level as well. You’re leaving many things behind in Madrid and many dreams left to achieve at the Club you grew up with and you have to start all over again from zero. Whatever name you’ve made for yourself doesn’t count anymore and you have to prove yourself all over again and perhaps with the added pressure of the big sum of the transfer fee and what it means to a group of supporters who have their sights set very clearly on winning silverware every season.

But I mean personally, obviously it’s your decision but how much influence do others around you have. Like your parents, your girlfriend, many others….for example, what did you parents make of all this?

- [laughs]Honestly, at first my mother didn’t…


That’s what I mean, your dad was probably like ‘do whatever you want son’ but your mum? No?

- Yeah but at the end my girlfriend is the one person that’s with me most of the time and she is perhaps the one’s that’s seen me when I’m sad. She doesn’t give me the ‘go-ahead’ but she stands by my decision because she knows how rough it’s been for me for sometimes and at the end the important thing is to be happy, no?

But now my parents have been over and they saw the CL match where I didn’t play but they left the stadium really happy even if they didn’t get to see me play and they were there for the 6-0 as well and they enjoyed it very much. Now perhaps they realize it’s the best thing for me but at first the decision is a tough one to make.


So it’s just you and your girlfriend in Liverpool?

- Yes but my friends, siblings and parents have come over to visit me already.


And what’s your impression on everything over there?

- On the football side it’s amazing. It’s a great club in every sense of the word, where you’re never missing anything. The atmosphere in the stadium is fantastic, I had never seen anything like it before in Spain.


- I do now [laughs] because Rafa makes us speak in English


But you knew a little bit already….

- Not really. You think you know the language but once you get there and people start speaking to you in English you realize all the stuff you’ve learned is worthless [laughs]

You both have a professor?

- Yes, the club provides a professor for us but the most important thing is the day to day stuff and learning from your team-mates…


And at what time are your English classes?

- It depends on our training session. They adjust to our training schedule and sometimes they come home or we go to the training ground or they come with us when we go shopping…

Your girlfriend too?

- Yes.

And the club provide a house for you too?

- Well, you tell them what you’re looking for and in a week or so they come back with a huge itinerary of houses to look at [laughs]


And what have you chosen, something smaller for the two of you?


- As of right now we’re just getting to know the different areas and looking at the drive time to the training ground, the airport, the city centre…we’re looking for an area that is centrally located and we’re looking at the option that’s best for us.

And where are you living now?

- In a house close to the other Spaniards. Close to Pepe by the airport but I’m still looking.

And what about the driving? Have you had any scares yet? Because Luis Garcia told me once that he took out five or six side mirrors the first time!

- [laughs] he warned me! And Xabi as well…to be careful the first few days, it’s very tense at first you’re trying to get used to the new way of driving at every intersection

Alcala- The roundabouts! You don’t even know where you’re supposed to exit

- I’m ok with those but the intersections are more confusing because I don’t where the cars are coming from or if they’re turning right or left or where I’m supposed to turn to. I’m much better now but at first I was frozen a few times and people must’ve been thinking where did this bloke come from!?

You’re driving an English[type] car?

- Yes, the club gave us a car. I wanted to bring mine from Spain but it’s best I use the wheel on the right side.


Nah but you wouldn’t take your car over then. And now if your girlfriend asks you ‘lend me the car I need to go shopping’ then you’re like ‘Sure, have a go at it’

One thing I’ve noticed is that you’ve adapted really well to the Premier Leauge. You scored that goal against Chelsea and then you score two against Derby

- It’s important that we’re getting good results in our favour and winning makes things easier but we’ve still got a long way to go. It’s a big change, new country and perhaps now I value more the things that some of my former team-mates that arrived at Atleti went through. When they first come to the Spanish league and they need some time to adapt and some people don’t understand why but it’s a difficult process when you come to a new country and everything is different. Not just a new coin, but the driving is different, new habits and a new way of living so you need some time to get used to and I’m not fully adapted yet.

It’s true that it’s been somewhat easier for me because of the results and the help from my team-mates and even the people in the city that are always making sure you’re comfortable but we still got time.

And what are the training sessions like? I know Rafa Benitez is a Spanish manager but he’s a very peculiar person. How is it different to a training session in Spain?

- It’s different to what I was used to because at Liverpool we play more matches and we usually have to play midweek so the training is more aimed at recovering fitness and preparing for the next match. I wasn’t really used to this kind of training and it’s been somewhat surprising. It’s more individualized and we may only train as a group twice a week and the rest of the time is more player-specific. Also, it is a lot calmer working at Melwood where we train behind close doors and we get to work the entire morning, it’s very different.

And you stay there to eat….

- Yes we do breakfast and lunch at the training ground.

You weren’t used to that…

- No, it’s different but it’s very helpful for me because I can learn English faster from talking to the people there and you get to spend time with the boys from the reserves, which I believe is very beneficial for them to get used to being with us so that when they get a call to train with the first team we already know each other better and it’s good for the team spirit. The atmosphere is much better because you spend all this time together.

And why did you choose the number 9? Did you get to choose it or was it offered to you?

- When the transfer went through I asked for it. I knew that Fowler was leaving and the number was available and Rafa said yes. He asked me if I knew what it meant to wear that number here and if I wanted it I could have it.


You say the training sessions are behind closed doors. Is it always like that?

- Yes. The fans aren't allowed in and the media only come once or twice a month. They may record some video or take some pictures once or twice a month.

So the press is very different in England?

- Yes, there really aren’t any specialized sports papers and they don’t have the same daily following like we do in Spain. The tabloid papers might dedicate five or six pages to sports but…

But they’re very obsessed with the gossip!

- Yes, they don’t have the sports papers but they do sell the tabloids which is more about the gossip and rumours and the stories that nobody knows whether they are really true, it’s a different story. Then on match day there is more coverage about the match, the previews or about the Champions League but the day-to-day is nothing like Spain.

And the refereeing?. Is it better in England than Spain? I did a programme once from Liverpool with all your team-mates: Pepe Reina, Luis Garcia (when he was still there), Xabi Alonso… and the told me that cheating is something they really despise. Things like diving to get a penalty or fake injury or exaggerate an aggression, that’s something they’re not very keen on…?

- Yes I don’t really think the refs are better or worse but the players in English football are more honest, more pure and they don’t like cheating because even your own team-mates will get on your back. I’m sure if you were to win a match because you dived and won a penalty even your own team-mates would be mad at you. The like to win doing things the right way and the refs benefit from that. They know that unless the foul is really a foul is difficult for the players to go down, you’d almost have to kill them…so they allow a lot more contact. There is more action and less stop time because less fouls are called but I’m not saying they’re better or worse. I think if the players in Spain helped the refs more then we could see the same type of refereeing.

And what seems to have almost disappeared is the ‘Hooligans’. They don’t do the same sort of thing that used to happen before right?

- Yes, I think it’s also seen in a negative way. They’re very small groups and it’s something they want to eradicate. The idea that people have of English supporters, of the European nights or late kickoffs, of how violent they get and the trouble they create wherever they go…that’s disappearing because it’s not seen with a keen eye.

That did a lot of harm to English football

- Yes, but now that I’m there and see what the supporters are really like it’s a completely different story so I’m not sure if its something that used to happen a long time ago or if it’s just a myth about something that happened long ago and people keep bringing up but I still haven’t seen that sort of thing.

And now that you know the regular English person, from the street now that you’ve been there a couple of months, what’s your impression?

- I think they’re very respectful. They know when to approach you, they don’t come over when you’re having a meal or when you’re spending time with your family. They usually will wait until you’re done eating dinner even if they have to wait a long time or if you’re in the training ground and they want an autograph and you’re fifty meters outside they won’t ask. It’s different, they know how to separate the personal life from life at the training ground. There are always exceptions but in general that’s how they behave. Also, the Liverpool fans is a very enthusiastic one, they might say ‘come on’ and that’s it they don’t get on top of you or start following you.

And what are the papers saying about Fernando Torres?

- [laughs] The truth is that it’s still a bit early for me to read the English press…


Yes but I’m sure they translate it for you…?

- No, honestly since there isn’t that daily following I probably get more news from Spain on the internet.

So what’s your day like. At what time do you wake up?

- Usually we need to be at Melwood by 9:15 AM so I’ll get up at 8:30. Then at 12:30 we have a meal and we’re home by 1.

You start training at what time?

- at 10. at 9:15 we eat breakfast

Is it a strong breakfast like the English like?

- Well, we have possibilities. Whatever you want, you can choose to eat a lot or not.

But you don’t eat that much

- No, no[laughs]so far I don’t.

And then you eat again at 12:15PM?

- Yes, 12:30PM or so. It depends at what time we finish. And then we go home. We’ll now that we’ve just gotten there there’s a lot of paperwork to do, the TV, changing banks, the car, it’s a bit hectic. And when you don’t really know what’s going on it’s worse [laughs]

And what’s it like to live in Liverpool?

- So far it’s been good. I’ve also had a lot of people come over and that’s helped me. It’s a small city but there’s a bit of everything, good restaurants, good shopping centres, and nice places to go for a walk and the only drawback is the weather.

But the food is not like in Spain, it’s terrible

- Not quite but there are some nice places.


I went with Morientes and Alcala’s friends to this place that was sort of imitating a Spanish restaurant but they served an octopus that was like eating razor blades

Alcala- [laughs] But there are better ones. There’s a few Italian restaurants that are quite good in Victoria Street.

The Spanish restaurants are not quite like we would imagine

Alcala- Jose Ramon, it’s also been a couple of Summer months and Fernando was telling me that he’s had a taste of the British weather but aren’t you a bit, not scared but respectful of the winter when it’s quite cold and at 3 pm it’s all dark and people don’t come out of their homes, when the shopping centers are closed, little social life. Because there are people like Xabi Alonso, who is very happy and has adapted very well and on the other side Fernando Morientes who had a tougher time with all that

- Well you never know, I’m not sure, we’ll see. That’s why I say there’s still a lot of time to go and be able to say I have adapted because everybody says that the winter is rough and difficult…right now for me I don’t think it will be a problem but we’ll see because at the end the important thing is to play football and that sort of weather is good for the matches, the state of the pitches and how we might approach a game.

Do you get to see a lot of Spanish football there?

- I’ve seen some, more highlights now with all the TV problems in Spain but we do follow it.

8 comments:

Kunal said...

Nice interview. Many thanks for the translation.

Unknown said...

Excellent read once again. Much appreciated.

Unknown said...

great work!!

Unknown said...

cool man.he is enjoying.

Unknown said...

excellent interview.. nice going with the translation

Victoria said...

thanks a lot for the translation. it was very interesting

Unknown said...

lovin it! im so glad ive found this blog! whens the next article up?!!

Alex said...

Cheers everybody, thank you for the comments.

Stevie I'm trying to get the audio of a radio interview that was done by a Spanish radio station in Liverpool today with Pepe Reina and Torres. As soon as I get that i will get to work on the translation. Hopefully there's something interesting in it.