Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Interview with Mikel SanJosé


Interview taken from deportesnavarra.com

The young Spanish centerback from Villava, formed in Athletic's academy is playing with the Liverpool reserves at only 18.

How’s life in Liverpool?

-Very good, I’m really happy. I thought it would be a lot harder at first but that hasn’t been the case, so I’m quite well.

How’s your English coming along?

- At first I thought I was going to have a tougher time with the language but it’s going quite well actually.

How do you manage to get around the city?

- Liverpool is not so big of a city and I’m currently living in the city centre so I pretty much walk everywhere. To go to Melwood, there is a taxi that takes all of us that live in the same area so it’s quite practical.

Where are you living right now?

- On Monday, I will move in with a family that the club has arranged for. Usually, they know someone that works for the club and they know we’re from abroad. Some of my team-mates that live with such families tell me they’re very happy.

Do you speak with your parents very often?

- Yes, my parents are back home. I speak to them every day. They’re very happy for me and always ask me what I’ve done for the day, if I’m happy…they also happy that I’m here.

Is the weather as bad as people say?

- It rains almost every day and it’s been quite cold lately.

But you’re from northern Spain so you must be used to it…

- Yes [laughs] but it never gets this cold in September

Are you surprised by the magnitude of your new club?

- Yes, it’s very impressing. You see very important people all the time and sometimes you get to train just a few feet away from the first team. It’s very rewarding.

Have you spoken to any of the other Spaniards at the club?

- Yes, quite often. Xabi Alonso is very nice and he’s helped me a lot since the first day. With Benitez I don’t speak as much, only from time to time.

And what does he say to you?

- To work harder and to be alert.

Have you been able to watch any of the Premier League matches?

- Since I arrived I’ve watched all of Liverpool’s games at Anfield.

Is the football there so different to Spanish football?

- Yes, people here don’t support based on the result or how well you’re doing. For them it’s more important that all the players give everything on the pitch. If the players fight and fight, even if things don’t go so well, they will keep on cheering. The intensity is a lot higher on the pitch and the refs let the play go on more often.

Does English football suit your abilities better then?

- I don’t know. In Spain, the ball is kept on the ground more often and the strikers base their game on quality. Here, it’s more about long balls and the strikers are very strong. The physique is more important. In Spain, as soon as you touch the attacking player a little bit or make contact they call a foul but here you can almost climb on top of them, use your body and they don’t call a foul, so it’s more difficult for them to win the ball.

What do you reckon you need to improve on?

- I don’t know. My heading is quite good but I need to gain a bit more intensity. With English football being faster I need to add a bit more ‘spark’. It’s going well so far so I’m hoping I get it right soon.

You have a 3 year contract. Have you set yourself any goals?

- It’s difficult but I want to win the starting spot with the reserves and play as much as possible and if I get to make my first team debut then even better. It’s my dream but I know it’s going to be very difficult.

Do you think that being at Liverpool will open up the doors to other teams?

- Yes, but I need to do as best as I can here because if I can’t break into the first team in the future then I will possibly need to look elsewhere. But my aim is to do everything possible while I’m here. I have to give my very best to get to the first team. And hopefully one day I will debut at Anfield.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mate can you translate this?

http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/futbol/1a_division/real_madrid/es/desarrollo/1041239.html


Thanks