Monday, August 20, 2007

Torres: still a long way to go


Spanish striker Fernando Torres, delighted to have gotten off the mark yesterday in his new home at Anfield with a goal that earned his Liverpool team a draw against Chelsea (1-1), does not want to get ahead of himself and admits that he’s still “a long way to be at the same level” of his team-mates and to fully “adapt to the ‘Premier League’”, since he realizes that English football is “different” to Spain’s La Liga.

“Scoring goals will give me confidence and will make the adaptation process easier for me, but I’m still adjusting. I’ve just gotten here and the playing style is very different. The goals will make things a bit easier for me and I hope they keep coming but I’m still a long way from being at the same level as some of my team-mates”, declared Torres in his arrival to the national team’s congregation ahead of their friendly match against Greece on Wednesday.

He also revealed that he doesn’t feel ‘pressured’ but with a high degree of ‘responsibility’ for “the magnitude of the transfer and for the confidence shown in me” by various people. “I have to keep working, because good things come out of hard work. I hope the good results keep coming as they’ve done so far”.

The madrileño has the confidence that Liverpool will be ‘fighting at the top’ and knows that the key is to ‘stay close to the teams who will challenge” for the title, like they did last season. “The objective is to look no further than the match at hand, the season is very long and we will see what happens at the end”.

His new team is also different to Atletico. “It’s a different culture, Liverpool is one of the most unique teams, I’m not saying it’s better or worse but it’s a different story, a different atmosphere”, he highlighted. Yet, despite the distance, he doesn’t forget about his former team and on Saturday, “from the team bus”, he will be paying close attention to the derby.

“It seems that things are going quite well for them and I hope that the team clicks. The season is quite long and hopefully they will let the manager do his job and the players work without too much pressure”. “They have built a great team and now they just need time to adapt”. Finally, he showed his desire that the referee’s mistake yesterday, when he awarded a non-existent penalty to Chelsea, that drew the teams level, is just ‘an anecdote and not a usual occurrence’.





http://www.cadenaser.com/articulo/deportes/Torres/queda/muchisimo/estar/nivel/companeros/csrcsrpor/20070820csrcsrdep_11/Tes/

No comments: