Saturday, August 18, 2007

Interview with Insúa

Interview done by Horacio Garcia of Diario Ole and translated by Spanish Fan from the RAWK forum.

From Villa Urquiza to England. From Boca to Liverpool. Emiliano Insúa, 18 years of age, is making his way in the English Premier League. After winning the under 20 World Cup he returned to Argentina to rest for a few days and now is already in preseason with Rafa Benítez. The lad who left on loan at the beginning of the year for 170.000 euros with a buy option of 1,700,000 euros shared with Ole his experiences in Liverpool.

How has it been for you in England so far?

To be honest I can't complain. At Liverpool they have treated me fantastically well, and they are always around to help so that I have everything that I need. Regarding the football part I had the chance to start in two Premier League games against Portsmouth and Fulham and I was happy with my performance.

In what position are you playing?

The same as in the under 20's, left back. Rafa Benitez told me that I should play there because I lack height. In English football centerbacks and centerforwards are all very tall. So it is best that I play as a full back where I can put to use my skills on the ball coming out of the defense.

What has surprised you most?

Concerning football, the way they behave during games. There are no fences and everyone respect each other. The stadiums are always full. Everything is in the right place. Whether you win or lose players leave the stadium unaffected. Sometimes I feel I miss the support from the crowd, the taunting from the rival fans, the provocations, ha ha ha.

Your favourite players

The best, no doubt, is Steve Finnan Gerrard. The team revolves around him. Another player that has caught my eye is the giant Peter Crouch. In spite of his height he is very skillful. Other outstanding players are the Spanish goalkeeper Jose Reina, centerback Jamie Carragher, the Norwegian midfielder John Riise...Those are the most outstanding players. And now we have el Niño Torres and the Brazilian Lucas. We can't complain about lack of star players....

What do you do in a normal day at Liverpool?
Once I get up I wait for Paletta to pick me up. When we get (to Melwood) we have breakfast first with all the squad, half an hour before the training session. We have tea and toasts with different types of jam, but most of the people have scrambled eggs with ham. One different habit is that once the training session is over you can have lunch in the canteen. Most of the players do. Different habits..
Anyway, those are the only moments that you share with the rest of the squad. Afterwards everyone does their own thing. If you are waiting for someone to invite you you are wasting your time.

What was the most difficult thing for you?
The language. Luckily Rafa speaks Spanish. Driving on the other side is not a problem I face. Paletta drives or I get a driver.

Where do you stay?

The club put me up in a house with an old English couple. They are something like surrogate parents for me. They are lovely. They take care of me and make sure I have everything I need. This is something they are doing with all the young players recruited from all over the world so that we can settle better.


Are they very strict?
They give me freedom, but they have to abide by the rules the club set for us. A few months ago my mum and my girlfriend came over to visit me but they couldn't stay in the house.

Do you follow Argentinian football?

By the minute. I bought a device and can watch Argentinian TV via the internet. I spent 800 dollars, a very good investment. Didn't I enjoyed Boca win in the Libertadores Cup! I love that club. I arrived there when I was 9. I have lots of friends there. Besides, Boca were great when I had this chance to join Liverpool and never opposed to the move. Also, the experience I got from travelling around helped me out when moving to Liverpool. In my heart I feel I am in debt with them, and that I can pay them back wearing the Boca shirt one day. I know I will.


http://www.ole.clarin.com/notas/2007/08/03/01470440.html

Thanks to Spanish Fan of RAWK for the top-notch translation

No comments: