Saturday, January 19, 2008

Torres Interviewed by Público

Some tough questions, some shots taken by the Interviewer but very classy and composed answers from Torres. The journalist interviewing Torres is an Atletico fan who is known for his critical views of the team.

José Miguélez / Público - 18/01/2008 22:20



“I would feel guilty if Atleti weren’t doing well”

Anfield. Last Tuesday. Liverpool are getting ready to play an FA Cup match against Luton. Just before kickoff, a small homage is paid to Carragher for his 500th official match for the reds. The central defender enters the pitch with his son alongside him, who is also wearing a Liverpool shirt. But not his dad’s. He wears the number 9, Fernando Torres’s number. In Madrid, many kids lived that fantasy before. Today they cry.

The derby is upon us. You’re going to miss it.

- Well, I’ll watch it. They are showing it on TV here. I watch a lot of Atleti’s matches.

And what if they go out and win it without you?

- I hope so. But it wouldn’t mean anything. I was never able to beat Real Madrid. Well, the team, not just me.

Have you been back to El Calderón?

No, but only because I haven’t been able to yet.

Are you afraid of that day?

- No, why should I be afraid? Not everyone thinks like you.

How do the supporters at El Calderón think then?

- They’ve understood my decision. Atletico fans still want to take pictures with me, they wish me luck. They come to Anfield with their banners. I still feel the same affection as when I was playing there.

“The easy thing would be to leave Atletico, I’m staying…My future is not tied to the results, if it was I would’ve left a long time ago…The easy thing is to support Madrid or Barça, but I’m an Atletico…People ask me why don’t I leave, that I’m not going to win anything here, but they don’t ask other Atletico supporters to switch teams when their team don’t win anything…This is my home, I grew up here and I want to win titles here: they feel mine and I will enjoy them much more…Do these phrases from last April still torture you?

- No, because they haven’t changed.

Explain that…

- I still feel the same way about many of those things I said. Not so about others. At Atletico things are constantly changing. I want to win titles with Atletico. But they needed me to go in order for other players to take over that responsibility and for the club to be able to make great signings. I didn’t leave to earn more money or deceiving anybody.

Only breaking your word

No. I said what I felt and I left because it was the only way for the club to grow. I also think about myself, I’ve come to a club that gives me a better reputation, where I play comfortably.

Are you saying you felt like you were doing more harm than good?

- No, not at all. But there are other things, that I won’t tell you or anybody else. Things that went on at the club and in the dressing room.

So you were basically fed up?

- No. I tried to help the team get into Europe and achieve great things all I could but I wasn’t able to. Now, that path belongs to others. They’re doing a good job and I hope they are able to achieve these things. I couldn’t. I have that regret, that frustration.

Who was more eager for you to move on, was it yourself or your entourage?

- That whole issue about my entourage makes me laugh. I don’t know what they mean or if they even exist.

Your people: your agents, journalist friends, your family…

My people accept my decisions. The problem is yours, what entourage?

Those that pressured you with ‘you must leave, you must leave’

- You’re completely wrong. My agent didn’t want me to leave. My parents don’t get involved. It was my decision. That’s it. And time has proven me right.

More like it has proven your enemies right. Those that got some joy from you leaving, those that couldn’t stand your loyalty for Atletico, the ones that had doubts about it. Those you made happy.

- I don’t have any enemies. Or friends.

The detractors that are nowhere to be seen now

- Football is like that. I didn’t invent it. It’s a constant change.

Before you were considered an overrated footballer, now you’re a phenomenon. Isn’t it a bit strange?

- At Atleti, I was an easy target. The team wasn’t doing so well and I was the visible head. I lived with it, I tried to change it but I couldn’t. As a collective, we didn’t win anything. But I’m happy about the things I did on a personal level. The numbers are there.

Your game hasn’t really changed, just the adjectives used to describe it

- It’s a lot calmer here for me. I also have more time and a better structure. I’m in a city where I can go out to a coffee shop and people don’t overwhelm me, I don’t feel pressured. I can take a walk without being reminded that I’m a footballer every step of the way. That allows me perform better on the pitch and enjoy it more. I also perceive that I’m on a team that the opponents respect. Just like the Atleti teams I used to follow as a kid, who would go out to win no matter the opposition or the scenario, they were respected and feared…things that I never felt there as a player unfortunately. I feel that here. We must go out to Marseille in a win or win situation, and you sense the fear in the opposition. The supporters don’t feel like they’re in hell all the time, they’ve just come from playing a final. And I feel important in a group where as many as eight players are able to shine. That’s what I was looking fore. I would’ve never had that at Atletico…[he gets asked for an autograph…]

I see that you’re never reminded of being a footballer

- He was Spanish. The English, never.

It seems like it wasn’t that difficult a decision for you to leave

- It was very difficult. Not having won anything at Atletico…That’s the one regret that will never go away. If I had any doubts it was because of that. I would’ve been proud my whole life with just one title. I made my debut while in the Second Division, I’ve had some very bad times, when all the responsibility laid squarely on my shoulders. I also had some good times, but not as many. I would’ve loved to have shown people that Atleti could make progress. I wanted to be there…but I came to realize that I was only staying because of stubbornness. Luckily things are looking good for Atleti. If they were doing badly, I would’ve felt guilty for leaving them. I was positive that they needed me to leave. Luckily I was right. That way I don’t have to look back in regret. I’m also doing very well.

Did you think about your grandfather?[passed on]

- Yes…[another autograph, for the waiter, he signs it in English]. He saw me make my debut for Atletico, and that’s the thing that will stay with me. He always told me to do the best thing for myself. I know that he would be happy. Specially, because Atletico are doing well. Atletico supporters follow Atletico. They’re not Garate, Kiko, Torres, or anyboy else’s supporters. They support the club.

Is there anybody left at Atletico that knows what it means to be be a rojiblanco?

- Yes, I think so.

Care to give any names?

- I don’t know…[he’s interrupted, another autograph: “it’s for my friend”].

I see that the English don’t…

- It’s not usual, it’s incredible!.

I was asking for names…

- The ones I speak to, Alberto[chief of dressing room] or Bastón [goalkeeper’s coach], I know that they understand what Atletico means. Perhaps they’re not allowed to explain it to the newcomers. But football seems to have lost that. Well, not here in Liverpool. In just one week I knew more of the history of Liverpool than Atleti’s. They gave me DVDs, books, I was introduced to the legends….

Who?

- The Club. As soon as you arrive they make you understand where you are, what it means to play for this club, wear the number 9, what Anfield is, who put that little ‘This is Anfield’ sign, who he was, what he’s won…They explain everything to you. I would’ve loved that at Atleti…those that are experienced should help the newcomers. That’s why I used to say: How can I be captain[so young]? Who am I to teach anybody? If I’m ever captain again some day, I will do these things.

That doesn’t happen at Atleti?

- No, it doesn’t.

See what you’ve done by leaving: you left a team without any sign of identity.

- I don’t know. Thing is that not even the players in the youth system know what it means[the history]. I had my grandfather. I went to the matches, I lived the year of the double in person when I was only ten and that runs deep with you, you learn. It’s so important…Every time I step inside of Anfield I know it’s not just another match. I feel the responsibility, the need to show that I belong here. And that didn’t happen at Atleti.
What’s more emotional, ‘You’ll never walk alone’ or the ‘Torres, Torres’ chant after missing at penalty?

- It’s different emotions. The affection that the Atletico supporters showed towards me it’s something I’ll never forget. I haven’t seen it with any other player. Here, they sing songs for me and I feel proud because I’ve just arrived. At Atleti they made me feel like part of them.

It was because of your loyalty. Will you understand your fall from that altar?

- I don’t think I’ve fallen out. Many supporters told me to leave, to think about myself. They’ve understood my decision. My conscience is clear. I tried for many years but wasn’t able to achieve success for the club. Now, the ones that arrive…

Where do you see this affection? El Calderón has gone mute about you. They don’t sing or insult you. For Simeone, for example, they still chant his name.

- But Simeone has wont titles, I didn’t. He’s a lot higher in the institution. And my exit is still very recent. We’ll see as time goes by.

Do you understand those that feel disappointed?

- Yes, of course. I’m sure there are those. I respect them but I know I made the right decision.

Do you feel the need to be comprehended?

- No. Nobody can judge my decision without knowing all the facts. Only I know them. And the decision is mine alone.

Why not share all those facts

- They’re feelings that belong to me only. I don’t make a decision thinking how other people might feel about it.

Is the booing against you over in all the stadiums across Spain?

- I don’t know, It’s not something that worries me. But I’m sure the hate was a result of the shirt I was wearing.

Do you feel like a better player now?

- When the play evolves around the entire team, you get better by force. At Atletico, I felt like the centre of gravity. The team and the system was formed to suit me. The question was always: Who will play next to Torres?
You’re a better finisher as well, don’t miss as many one on ones as you used to

- Every player misses good chances. But it’s more difficult to criticize a player from Madrid or Barça or Milan or Liverpool that one from Atleti.

See how you’ve accepted the same model of critique you used to hate

- No, no. I think it’s because the Premier is not seen as often in Spain. Or because a Spaniard in Spain is not as important, he comes here and makes a name for himself just because he’s a foreigner. It happens everywhere.

Last year, who was right? Aguirre or Aguero?

- There’ll be those who think that back then we didn’t enjoy Aguero because he played less time, and those who think that his success this year is due to a calculated plan. Kun is a great player, but he needs time. He’ll have a great season. I hope that next year they don’t ask him to win the Liga all by himself. It’s the danger for a team with so much urgency.

You can’t shake off the sensation that you had to do it all by yourself

- It was like that for a long time. I wish I would’ve won the League on my first year. It would all have been very different.

You demanded for the club to keep Aguirre. He renewed and then you left

- You don’t like Aguirre either? You don’t like anybody. The team is third in the league. A team needs time for the manager’s ideas to gel. Aguirre’s work is very good. Good football, bad football…there’ll be time to play some great football. People have a good time. The team is scoring a lot of goals, still suffering as always, but they’re getting the results.

Do you feel envy now that Atletico sometimes plays attacking football?

- No, they play attacking football? I think it’s more a case of having a lot of goal up front. And when the match opens up, they have more options to win. That’s why this year asides from Madrid, Barça or Sevilla, they benefit from playing an open match.

You seem happy, but what about when Benitez leaves…

- You didn’t see Anfield against Luton?

But the owners are not the supporters

- But the whole thing doesn’t exist. It’s all a lie. Benitez is not going to leave and they won’t sack him. Results aside, I don’t see it happening. I can’t even imagine it. I don’t think English football has lost its patience like it seems. And the newspapers here are not very trustworthy. That’s why they have less effect. I’ve seen interviews being published that I’ve never done. They just make them up.

Who’s your partner, your Ibagaza here?

- Gerrard. It’s easy to form an understanding with him. There’s no need to do anything special. Wherever you run to, he puts the ball. He’s fantastic. If he played for a different team, he’d be even more renowned. But here in England, Liverpool are not so well liked. That’s made him less popular.

Here we go…Just like Atletico, always whining

- No, it’s not that bad. Liverpool are the English club with the most titles, with more mystic, but it wouldn’t seem like it. I didn’t think they were so big before I got here. Perhaps they haven’t been able to sell themselves so well. Or perhaps it’s not in the interest of some people in England that it is known. Because England is London and that’s it.

Is English football better suited to your qualities or is it just a thing to say?

- Because of the speed, the dynamics, it’s better for me. I used to think that it would take me longer to adapt because there is a lot more contact but because of my qualities it’s been a lot easier.

Is it because of the way Liverpool play or because of the opposition?

- It’s the culture of play here. The refs let the play go on. You know that if somebody is grabbing you and you dive they won’t give the foul. They have to almost kill you to get a foul call. The players help also. I’ve had some confrontations with Ferdinand and Terry but in general the football here is a lot more pure. You don’t see the elbows away from the action…It’s much more honest. They do kick you more. Less frequently, but more forcefully. Here they tackle you and if they are late one second they kill you. The shortest defender I’ve played against is 1,90. It’s incredible. You have to learn to play against that.

How?

- Learning what they don’t like. In Spain you could be playing half a meter away from the defender and you can beat him with speed. Here, if you are half a meter away, they’re grabbing on your shirt all the time. You have to play further away from them. At first, I spent so much time thinking of where to stand that I would miss half the match. Benitez always talks to me about that. To create some separation and if they come for me twenty meters outside the area, they will leave some spaces behind.

Would you be having such a great time without the other Spaniards?

- The first few days they are vital. It’s a new country, a new coin, different side of the road to drive on, no kilometers, miles instead. You need someone to act as a guide or else you’re lost all the time. And also inside the dressing room. Everything is explained in English, it’s confusing and you need someone to ask what to do. Now I understand better the players that would arrive and didn’t speak Spanish, they had a rough time. Now it’s not so bad. The forces us to be together: we have breakfast and lunch together…

What we've tried in Spain, unsuccessfully

- The thing is, you can’t change the culture. English players never protest. They’ll do what they’re asked. They’re ordered to run 200 laps around the pitch and they don’t ask why: you just do it. In Spain, 15 people are complaining beforehand.

Which Liverpool player would you recommend for Atletico?

- Nobody.

Which Atletico player would you recommend for Liverpool?

- Maxi Rodriguez.

The new 4-5-1 system could threaten your Euro participation: It’s either you or Villa. Would Luis Aragones dare?

- It depends on the results. It’s gone well for him this way and as long as it keeps working he will insist with that system. We must accept it.

How many times have you said to yourself: “Why did I leave?”

- Not once.

Will you still be an Atletico ‘socio’ [member]

- I’ve never been one.

Well, its about time

- What for?

At least it’s a connection

- I don’t need a card to have a connection with the club. I’ve been in that club since I was 10 years old.

And for Liverpool

- I would have to put myself on the waiting list. But I have 40,000 people in front of me

Source

1 comment:

Kunal said...

Many thanks for translating an excellent interview. The way El Nino handles the difficult questions is indeed admirable!