Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Spanish Radio interview with Arbeloa, Torres & Rafa after Marseille

Radio interview conducted by Cadena Ser's programme 'El Larguero'. Just as background info, so that it makes more sense, every year come Christmas time the Spanish Lottery has the biggest purse of the year which is called 'El Gordo de Navidad' [Christmas' fat one]and it's pretty much a tradition for the regular folk to buy their lottery ticket in hopes of hitting the big one.

Here's the transcript....


(Presenter) Jose Ramón: Alcalá has already arrived at Marseille’s airport along with Liverpool’s squad, right Alcalá

Alcalá: Here we are ready to travel with them back to England, surely to be a very pleasant ride, I’m here with Arbeloa, who we had last night on the show and we were recalling our chat, when we talked about giving them our blessings from ‘El Larguero’, and, joder, did it ever work!0-4… a commanding victory, and a real exhibition of football today in Marseille. By the way, he is absolutely convinced, beyond any doubt that next round’s draw will pair them against R.Madrid…


JR: Alvaro!


AA: Yes.

JR: I told you…you were going to play, you weren’t so sure last night. I called you so late, nearly 1 am to tell you that you were going to play but you had doubts…or did you know already? [ and didn’t want to say]

AA: No, but I sensed it was possible because I’ve been playing quite frequently and the logical thing was that Rafa would keep the same team more or less.

JR: I told you that Alcalá was bringing you some luck

AA: Yes, lots of luck[laughs]

JR: But he got out of hand eh![laughs]

AA: He did[laughs]

JR: I told him a 0-1 was enough but he went mad, Hala, boom, 4!

AA: In case there were any doubts!

JR: Did he give you the lucky lottery ticket?

AA: No, I’m going to ask him for it now. I think he’s kept it for himself, doubt he will give it to me now.

JR: Ask him for it! I told him to take one for you, seriously, and one for Reina. Not for Torres or Benitez because they make a lot of quid and they don’t need to win the lottery…

AA: [laughs] But Pepe also makes a lot eh!

JR: I know, but he’s just become a father and he has to give the daughter an education!


AA: That’s true

JR: I said ‘Give my little Alvaro at least a ticket and if he gets a portion of the big one, say a million Euros, a little something like that would be nice, no?’

AA: It wouldn’t be bad at all[laughs]

JR: Well…fantastic, wasn’t it?

AA: Yes, now to await our next rival and it seems like there’s a good chance for a big Spanish or Italian team, we’ll see

JR: Who would you prefer? I was told you wanted R.Madrid?

AA: Yes, it would be nice. We’ve talked about it and it would be a great tie against a top team and something to really look forward. So if we draw Madrid it would be great.

JR: You would rather play them now, instead of playing them a bit later in the competition?

AA: No, to start off against a strong team is better. I think Fernando is very eager to face them, Rafa also so I think it would be fantastic get Madrid on the draw.

JR: [laughs] Well, Alvaro. On the 22nd, Saturday I’ll give you a call since it’s the draw for the Lottery and I’ll call you to ask you how you are planning to celebrate

AA: Okay, I’ll let you know then! Let’s see if he gives me the ticket first!

JR: Cheers!

AA: Cheers, good night!

Alcalá: Thanks to Alvaro Arbeloa as we head towards the boarding gate here in Marseille and here he is…the man of the night, what a great goal, it was the 0-2 and his third goal in the CL. Smiling, ear-to-ear smile on his face, a happy lad he is…here’s Fernando Torres

JR: Hello Fernando!

FT: Hello, Good evening!

JR: Joder, what a good streak? I’ve given you my blessing, eh?

FT: Yes [laughs], the truth is that things are going well and today was the most important match for me since I’ve been here and we saw that the team has responded very well.

JR: I told Alcalá not to give you the lottery, I sent one to Arbeloa but I said ‘Not to Fernando because he’s rich and besides, he’s already lucky enough’ why would you want to win the lottery, aye?

FT: No, well, to celebrate with the friends it wouldn’t be bad at all

JR: What you have to celebrate are all these goals! You’ve got 12 already so far this season and 3 in the Champions!

FT: Yes, it’s a great thing that these sort of clubs have. I knew that at Liverpool I could keep growing as a player and play with an ease of mind to enjoy what this team has to offer and it’s been that way, no? With players of great quality and playing in a lot of competitions, lots of matches and especially the games like the one today which makes my decision the more worthwhile.

JR: Tonight’s goal was beautiful, how you face up in the corner of the area, get past three and put it in the far post, gorgeous.

FT: Yeah, when the team is playing well and with confidence we’re able to do things like this and today we went ahead so early with Gerrard’s goal and our confidence was really high and you try these things and hope they work and hopefully we can carry this sort of form for the match against Manchester.

JR: You are the team with the highest goal average. Three goals per match, and Alvarito was telling me that ‘Fernando wants to play R.Madrid’

FT: [laughs] No, I didn’t say that…that’s him. No, we know there is a good chance of drawing a Spanish or Italian team and we know we have no choice but any of those teams will be tough. It’s the bad part of qualifying as a second placed team, there are no easy teams but, well it wouldn’t be bad at all.

JR: So, you would like to play them too. Arbeloa was telling me ‘ I want them now’

FT: What we talk about in the dressing room is to play in the biggest stadiums against the biggest clubs, Madrid, Barcelona, Milan…after the final people would like to play them again but they’re all tough. Sevilla are playing well in the Champions. Madrid and Barcelona and Inter are all favourites to win it so you never know which draw will be best. We want to concentrate on the Premier now and hope to be in good form by the time we start the next rounds.

JR: I wanted to talk to you about all the punishment you’re receiving in the Premier from defenders. The other day against Reading they kicked you flat, ,eh?

FT: [laughs] Yes. It’s the way it is here. The key is to learn that quickly and avoid those hits because it’s a lot of those every match.

JR: Is it true that while they’re tougher they’re also more noble?

FT: Yes, I think so. Very rarely you will see a tackle where they’re really trying to hurt you on purpose but rough tackles like the other day are very common.

JR: Hey, don’t worry about Atleti because ‘Kun’ will play. They removed one of the yellows on appeal…and he’ll play in Huelva

FT: I think it’s fair, no?

JR: Yes, Yes, and he’s taking his gloves with him !

FT:[laughs] Yes, well, they don’t love him so much in that stadium but for players that him, they thrive in those moments.

JR: People in Huelva surely love to watch him play but don’t worry about Atleti. Now we’re in CL places and at the end of next year you’ll see when we play against you

FT: I hope so, I hope so

JR: Well, have a safe trip!

FT: Thank you very much Jose Ramon

JR: Good night

FT: Cheers.

Alcalá: Well, that was Fernando Torres and before we board the plane, here is this man, wearing a suit, with a red tie, Liverpool red, who was on the edge Jose Ramon because he had to win the last three matches and well, 8 against Besiktas, 4 against Porto and 4 against Marseille and Liverpool have qualified. He’s the last one as we board the plane, here’s Rafa Benitez.

JR: Manager, good evening!

RB: Hello, good evening

JR: I didn’t send you a ticket either with Alcalá. Not for you nor Torres because you’re already rich and are so lucky, so for Arbeloa a little bit.

RB: I tell you Joserra, that luck is in love with hard work. It’s one of those phrases you hear all the time and the more you work the more luck you get. So Torres who works a lot is very lucky, Arbeloa is also lucky and so am I.

JR: The match turned out easier than we all expected because after 11 minutes you were up 0-2…

RB: Yes, we knew it would be a difficult match and then the pitch wasn’t in great condition and it was very windy so there were a series of conditions that were dangerous but well, we started really well and the team had the occasion with the penalty that I believe could’ve easily been a red or at least a yellow card and then Fernando’s great goal which put us on the right track. We were very focused, we knew they played well between the lines and we needed to be compact and the team has responded very well.

JR: Rafa, has Gillette gone, the bloke with the razor blades, one of the owners who said was going today…

RB: His son was with us at the Hotel but I haven’t seen him[George Gillette] perhaps he arrived a bit later but I really didn’t see him because we were preparing for the match, etc.

JR: But don’t they go in the dressing room before the match?

RB: No because, well they’re usually in America and the son is here now but he doesn’t come in. Sometimes the president comes in, well, most of the time the former president although he’s still chairman and the chief executive and they spend some time with us and then go up to their seats.

JR: And you didn’t see him after the match either? Does he travel on a different plane?

RB: I don’t know because I haven’t see him. We’re about to get on the plane so I don’t know. I imagine that he came in his private plane.

JR: Ya, well you know how billionaires are! And they haven’t called you on the mobile phone to congratulate you?

RB: I don’t know. I will have to check now because my mobile phone is in the bag but I’ll check. I think they must be happy just like the rest of us because the team won and played well. And now we have to sit down and see how we’re going to go forward for the future, no?

JR: What has to make you real happy are two things, besides the victory of course. But it’s the support of the fans and the support of the players. The way they’ve all come out like tigers on your defense?

RB: Yes, I think that the team have shown there is unity and that they trust that things can work out well and the supporters are fantastic because I had never seen demonstrations and internet petitions and chants during entire games in support of the manager. Usually, fans support a player or such but for managers you’re usually shouted at to leave the club[laughs] but in this case I’m extremely happy to be here

JR: Were you ever approached to manage England? No insinuations?

RB: Nobody spoke to me. There were rumours and such but nobody spoke to me because, first and foremost I’m still Liverpool’s manager.

JR: And would you have dared to manage England?

RB: Why be afraid?

JR: No man, not fear! But a patriot like you! At least tell them ‘Sure when you give us Gibraltar back! Or something.

RB:[laughs] No, look. The Spanish NT which could be an objective for any manager, I think we all think the same way. In the future, because now when you’re still full of energy and hunger, you want the day-to-day aspect and thinking ahead in the future you could consider the NT. The Spanish, the English or any other good team because, in this case, we’re talking about two very good teams.

JR: How are you spending the Christmas?

RB: With the family. We have some family coming over and it’s the typical Christmas eve dinner and such. We try to do that as long as it doesn’t coincide with a match because that’s how it works here. But in this case I think we have a match on the 26th and then on the 2nd so I think we will manage with the schedule.

JR: Well, Merry Christmas in case I don’t see you manager.

RB: Same to you.

JR: I wish you the best my friend

RB: Thank you, cheers.






5 comments:

Buckley said...

good work. love it!

johnc said...

excellent stuff. thanks!

Bona said...

good! thanx very much:D

Katie said...

this is so great alex- thanks!

raffathegaffa said...

some great translations, fantastic job, thank you